Friday, September 24, 2004

Google Jobs Puzzle

Congratulations

I found it fairly easy to get to this site. I played around with prime number thing for awhile using the Sieve of Eratosthenes algorithm in my favorite compiler and gave up after about 30 miuntes. I then resorted to the Kobayashi Maru technique.

The next one was a little harder. Finding f(x) where x=5 I surmised that the previous examples could be best modelled with a cosine regression. But apparently my software did not have enough precision for the number of digits invovled so, after two failed attempts, it's Kobayashi Maru.

I was presented with a very nice screen with "Nice work. Well done. Mazel tov." Near the end, "We could use your big, magnificent brain..." Anyway, I don't necessarily respond to these attempts to soften me up, nevertheless I decided to send an email out and ask if I was disqualified. No resume just yet. Besides, I live at the foot of the beautiful Rocky Mountians and I don't think I'll be moving anytime soon.

Turns out the link was there all along without these mathematical gyrations. Google Labs. From the whois info, it appears it took 6 months to get whole this thing put togehter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.