Sunday, October 10, 2010

10-10-10 10:10:10

Less than a few hours ago, a moment in time passed full of repetitions of the number "10". While one may argue this is insignificant, since it is only a man-made measurement for marking out the passage of time, I find moments like these are useful.

I am often reminded of the biblical principal of "new beginnings". These beginnings are always a new and fresh start. The past is past and the new day is before us. A crossing over the river into a new land.

There are the biblical feasts, each marking a point in time or a change in season. Accompanying these feasts are reflection, repentance, forgiveness, and celebration. This is a process of cleansing and it should occur frequently, not just once in a lifetime. Every morning is an opportunity; every week, every month and every season.

I could allow these moments to pass without notice and be lost in obscurity, or I can use them as a catalyst -- to use them for reflection, repentance, forgiveness, and celebration. A re-calibration of my life's personal compass.

"So I say, my endurance has perished; so has my hope from the Lord. Remember my affliction and my wanderings, the wormwood and the gall! My soul continually remembers it and is bowed down within me.

But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in him. The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord" (Lamentations 3:18-26).

-doug

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.