Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The old and the new (part 1)

Wow, it's been 14 months since I was laid off from a job I held for 24 years. That was the second time for me, the first time I was laid off was 24 years before as s result of the AT&T phone system being broken up by Judge Green. All in all, I can say Advanced Energy was good to me for all those years and I am very glad I had the experience. Things have changed there quite a bit and it is not the same company any longer.

The people I worked with, the struggles, the successes, new ventures, and exciting ideas we shared were all part of that time.

But mostly it was the people. I still keep in touch with many of them and with today's technology like LinkedIn, it's easier than ever. Now, I have colleagues and friends living in many states in this country and in many other countries as well. It was our struggles that bound us together, our successes and even some pretty heated arguments along the way. I consider all these people good friends and we shared something very unique. It will never be exactly like that again and rightly so. I feel privileged to have been part of a very special thing we had. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience.

Unfortunately, the company is now going down a path many others have already traversed. Most of these companies now hold a mediocre presence in the market place. It's a place where the people are no longer essential for the success of the business. It's about an impersonal bottom line and I do not believe this was the basis of the company as it once was. Something very unique and special is now gone.

Next time, something new.



http://www.linkedin.com/in/dougp01

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by.